Welcome

This site has been created to give us an opportunity to journey together through this thing called "Christian Living." My hope is that my transparency will spur you on, encourage you, and unite us in our efforts to become more like Christ. Please see this as an open dialog -- share your ideas, add your own post, and comment at will. I thank you in advance for morphing with me! -- Erin

ps - it is also a place for me to shamelessly brag about my children (consider it a multi-purpose blog!) :)

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Today's The Day!

Happy Ash Wednesday!
I think that might be an oxymoron, actually. Ash Wednesday is not really meant to be a day of rejoicing, but a day of mourning. We mourn our sinful natures and our evil ways. We grieve because we have grieved God. As ashes in the shape of the cross are bestowed upon the forehead, in many traditions the following words are spoken over the penitent:

Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return. (Latin: Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.)

Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.

Repent, and hear the good news.

Today is to be a day of reflection upon the things we do which displease God. Not exactly uplifting. But 40 days from today is the awe-some moment when we realize our freedom from these actions/habits/sins and embrace the Risen Christ. I have goosebumps.

I believe in the value of spending this day in mourning. I believe in the value of spending 40 days renouncing these things. What a way to build up glorious anticipation for the resurrection!

The next forty days hold some exciting things for me:
  • Blogging everyday again! I gave up Spiritual Reflection as soon as I gave up blogging... so lesson learned and I will be at it once again, but in a new way.
  • Limiting sugar and electronic devices. - I am setting the stage for Holy Week, when my entire family will join me in this one - No TV for a week should probably be the end of Vivi.
  • Practicing Intentional (not random) Acts of Kindness. - More on this later, but this is in an effort to displace the "Mean Girl" in me.
  • Exercising 2x a week. Sounds ridiculous, only TWO times?! But if manage to faithfully do this, it will be by the grace of God.
In these practices I attempted to impact the four aspects of my life: Spiritual (blogging and kindness acts), Mental (ALL), Physical (diet and exercise), and Emotional (ALL) in an effort to recognize that ALL four of these areas of my life need to be cleansed and released from bad habits and the negative impact of sin. May the next forty days be a journey towards wholeness, but more importantly towards holiness.

3 comments:

Ti Alan Chase said...

I love how you lumped sugar and electronic devices together into one category.
:)

(And how does blogging every day help you to limit your use of electronic devices?)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for your blog over the next month and a half.

Ti Alan Chase said...

Are you going to be doing anything different on the 6 Sundays of Lent (which are not counted among the 40 actual days of Lent) or will you be doing all of this for the next 46 days?

Unknown said...

hahaha... I am limiting my electronic involvement by: using the computer for work and posting my blog ONLY - NO email, NO internet and NO other crap on this confounded thing (which will limit me quite a bit!) I am also not allowing myself TV - no biggy for you, I know, but for me, it will mean I will have to sing to myself or something to create background noise - which is what I use TV for.

I will not cease my observances for the 6 Sundays, but will try to do something else to observe them - I need the consistency of going right straight through!

Thanks for the support!