Welcome

This site has been created to give us an opportunity to journey together through this thing called "Christian Living." My hope is that my transparency will spur you on, encourage you, and unite us in our efforts to become more like Christ. Please see this as an open dialog -- share your ideas, add your own post, and comment at will. I thank you in advance for morphing with me! -- Erin

ps - it is also a place for me to shamelessly brag about my children (consider it a multi-purpose blog!) :)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Power of God's Strength in Me

“ I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:1-2)
I am abandoning my assignment for today, or maybe perhaps showing an example of how the Lord has been my strength this week (although I think that interpretation might be a stretch in this story).

The other night, as Bo and I were doing our nighttime routine, he refused to say his bedtime prayers. He does this on occasion and normally I don't make a big deal out of it, I just say them for him - but this time he was a bit ornery about it, so I mildly scolded him and proceeded to pray anyway. Afterward, Bo looked at me incredulously.

"You know why I don't pray?" He smirked.
"No, why?"
"Because I don't believe in God." He scoffed. I cringed. With everything I could muster I avoided an emotionally-laden response and just nodded a "hmm."
"Wanna know why I don't believe in him?" He prompted.
"Sure."

"Because I keep asking and asking and asking him for another baby sister and I don't have one, so I don't believe in Him."

Thwump. That's the sound of a fist hitting my gut as those words met my ears. I paused, and my spirit must have communed with God's Spirit in those split seconds because I am pretty sure that is the only explanation as to why I didn't burst into sobs. Instead, I smiled gently.

"Bohdan, just because God's answer is sometimes 'No' doesn't mean He doesn't exist. Sometimes, the answer to our prayer is simply 'No.' Does Mommy sometimes say no to you when you ask me for stuff." He nodded. "Well, I'm still here, aren't I? I exist, don't I?" I asked.

"Nope. You don't exist either." Bo replied, with that adorable impish grin of his. We laughed and said goodnight.

I guess my point of sharing this is to remind myself that even when God is seemingly the source of attack (provoking a need for the things mentioned in this Psalm), He is still the one who will give us the strength to get through it. He is still the source of protection, which seems to contrary to our logical minds. But as God says no to me about my heart's desire and in turn reveals the heart of my own son, who shares my wish, God gives me the strength to get through it. Not only that, He teaches and guides me through it. Our God is truly magnificent.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Wow, what a poignant but also beautiful story. Sounds like you handled it amazingly...