Welcome

This site has been created to give us an opportunity to journey together through this thing called "Christian Living." My hope is that my transparency will spur you on, encourage you, and unite us in our efforts to become more like Christ. Please see this as an open dialog -- share your ideas, add your own post, and comment at will. I thank you in advance for morphing with me! -- Erin

ps - it is also a place for me to shamelessly brag about my children (consider it a multi-purpose blog!) :)

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reflections on Ashes and Kids

The children and I attended an Ash Wednesday service yesterday at St. Mary's Catholic Church. It was lovely. I don't know what it is about Catholic mass, but it moves me to tears almost every time. Something in the beautiful reverence for our God that I fear is missing in most protestant environments, I guess. Anyway, the priest called us to a time of prayer, fasting and alms giving - the traditional 3-fold Lenten experience. Then we all got in line to receive the ashes. I was so moved. When the lay minister placed an ashen cross on the foreheads of my children and recited "Remember from dust you were formed and to dust you shall return," I just lost it.

My GOD! What a God we serve - Glory Be that we can say, with the utmost confidence that WE WILL NOT RETURN TO DUST but live eternally with our RISEN LORD. Glory HALLELUJAH! Oh my goodness, I am just busting with that truth. It was all I could do not to stand up and shout from the pew this profound truth.

Phew... I also got to thinking about how I could get the kids more on board with this Lent Thing, because they definitely did not get what that service was all about. SO - We are going to make a paper chain with 40 links and on each link will be something we give up for that day or do that day to help us prepare for Easter.

I'm off to Bible study now. I wish I had time just now to go into the AMAZING things God is showing me through this study of Esther. Maybe tomorrow. Until then -

No comments: