Welcome

This site has been created to give us an opportunity to journey together through this thing called "Christian Living." My hope is that my transparency will spur you on, encourage you, and unite us in our efforts to become more like Christ. Please see this as an open dialog -- share your ideas, add your own post, and comment at will. I thank you in advance for morphing with me! -- Erin

ps - it is also a place for me to shamelessly brag about my children (consider it a multi-purpose blog!) :)

Saturday, January 10, 2009

KISS - Keep It Simply the Spirit

“But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:15-16)

The message of this verse makes me think of Ti's comment from a couple posts ago about how simple our faith is and how we get caught up in so much junk trying to work out our faith. Basically, doesn't really boil down to this verse? Be holy.

Certainly makes it sounds pretty stinking easy, doesn't it? Well....isn't it? I mean, if I apply what I have said in previous entries, God isn't going to ask us to be something we aren't capable of being. He isn't going to require we do something we aren't able to do.

Or is He?

I remember hearing somewhere that the Law from the OT was given by God, with Him knowing full well the Israelites weren't capable of keeping it. In doing so, He was setting the stage for Jesus to come, so as to fulfill the Law and grant us acess to the Father through Him.

Which leads me to believe our faith isn't really about being humble, acting justly, loving mercy, or even being holy - but it is really about being filled with the Spirit of Christ. "Apart from me, you can do nothing," Jesus said. "I am the vine, you are the branches.." Everything we strive to do is in vain if we are doing it of our own power or our own strength.

I know this is stuff we have all heard before... but think about it. Did any of us just make New Year's resolutions? Mine are the same every year. Why is that? Because every flipping year I FAIL at keeping them! Hrumph! This year I didn't make any because I was too annoyed at my lack of originality. Here I go again, same ol' issues, different year.

Not this year. This year I resolve to do one thing and one thing only. I vow (which is a really scary thing to do with God - look at how he makes vows in the OT, it usually involved the death of a lot of animals) I VOW (gulp) to utter one statement (or a variation of this one statement) EVERY DAY, at least once a day:

Lord, Fill Me with Your Spirit.

There. The ball's in His court now. I will let Him deal with the other items on my resolution list this year. For all I know, He doesn't give two hoots about any of them and will actually bring along something NEW and DIFFERENT for me to work through. Won't that be fun!

I've just placed a post-it on my desk with this phrase. If I have to, I will plaster them all over this house. God, let me be able to keep it simple and just ask for your Spirit. Why? Because with God, ALL things are possible! (Even those pesky resolutions!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I am commenting on my own entry - what a freak! Anyway, I am realizing the apparent contradiction I have between this entry and "A Shower and A Sermon" where I say God expects us to act. I still think this is true too, but how often do I go off "acting" without getting direction from the Spirit first? Too often! So, this year.. I am going to focus on putting first things first. Come, Spirit, come. Not by my might, not by my power, but by You.

Just wanted to clarify.
-e

Ti Alan Chase said...

"Which leads me to believe our faith isn't really about being humble, acting justly, loving mercy, or even being holy - but it is really about being filled with the Spirit of Christ."
I agree with this statement, but if we are filled with the Holy Spirit then we will be Holy (and we will act justly and love mercy and be humble).

Recognizing these qualities (or lack thereof) in our lives is the best barometer of whether we actually are filled with the Spirit of Christ, or just playacting.

Unknown said...

Exactly my point, Ti. We can either achieve justice, mercy and humility with the Spirit, or fail miserably trying to do them on our own.

How'd your sermon go?